Wednesday 26 November 2014

5 Common Misconceptions about Christmas

Seriously? Christmas? Already?

Those who know me know I have very mixed feelings about Christmas. I was supremely fortunate to have enjoyed many cosy traditional Christmases as a child and dislike the overtly consumer focussed festivities of today. (Whatever possessed John Lewis to blast Carols in their store yesterday clearly wasn't Christmas Spirit, since it's not even December!) Constantly torn between wanting a "perfect Christmas" and resenting the fact that it's yet another set of tasks and responsibilities I usually spend December flitting between states of anxiety and excitement.....

So what would my advice be for a successful Christmas?
  • Know your limits - and your limitations!
  • Start early  
  • Keep everything low key ... and 
  • Acknowledge the common misconceptions that invariably lead to disappointment! 
Failing all that wear a paper bag for the whole of December and pretend its not happening.


5 Common Misconceptions about Christmas


1) It's Merry

This really depends on how well stocked the drinks cupboard is. The true Spirit of Christmas might not be found there but by 1am on Christmas morning - when your little overexcited insomniacs are *finally* asleep - sipping Santa's brandy hardly cuts it.

I find underestimating the distress involved in actually making it to the Big Day is my biggest failing. I peak too early - the Christmas Spirit hits about mid December, but the unbelievable sense of relief when I know everything is done leaves little room for merriment. I'm exhausted, utterly burnt out and stumble incoherently through Christmas Day with or without alcohol!

2) Giving is better than Receiving

Tough one this. I do wholeheartedly agree, since I derive huge pleasure from planning, wrapping and giving gifts at Christmas. But context is essential. I'm not worried whether I receive any wrapped gifts, our family don't really give to adults but receiving a "day off", an invitation to dinner where someone else cooks or an unexpected bottle of Prosecco would win hands down. Every time.


3) It's precious Family Time

This one really makes me smile. In many ways I guess it is, and we've had our chocolate box Christmas moments in our time. But it's only "precious" if "family" is in small doses, carefully spaced and with strictly moderated interaction. And that's the immediate resident family. Adding anyone beyond that needs meticulous consideration as too much exposure to the usual fighting and squabbling that is commonplace here is likely to leave lasting damage. Don't get me wrong, my family love each other dearly - but from a distance, through closed doors and as long as they are not coerced into a long, drawn out meal around the same table.


4) It's the Thought that Counts

I think this one depends hugely on just how well conceived that "thought" was. A last minute "It'll do!" spark at 4.30pm on Christmas Eve is unlikely to count for much at all, but anyone giving serious consideration and bravely going one step beyond socks for him, smellies for her and something from Poundland for the kids (you know who you are!) scores highly in my eyes. Most of us have far too much and want for little, having someone take the time to choose something as a gift is genuinely giving so much more. First World problem it might be, but it's easier to solve than you might think. Give a night's babysitting for a busy family, a hot meal for an elderly neighbour or a week of dog walks to a working couple. For me it's TIME that counts. Thinking counts when it involves consideration of others.


5) It's White

Seriously? WHEN was the last time you had snow at Christmas? Unless you live in Northern Scotland, not many UK readers will have had a "White Christmas" in the past twenty years, the last one I remember was 1993. I mean, who associated the Festive Season with the fluffy wet cold stuff that usually falls in January or February? Or March. Or even April - but not December, or at least not for Christmas. 2010 was snowy, and cold - but all melted on 24th December just in time for Christmas.

I guess the only thing in Christmas's favour is that it's marginally better than New Year. But just don't get me started on that one..... Humbug anyone?



20 comments:

  1. Ha ha.... The family one rings so true. I'm an early planning, then last minute carry-outer of Christmas. I nearly always end up yelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has made me chuckle this afternoon and I can relate to many of the points you've raised too. Humbug? Don't mind if I do.. Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is all so true...and I also like the family time but sometimes it does feel like it can go on a bit too long which can make it all feel a bit forced!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the 'special' family time, extended family in small moderation yes lol. Of course I love spending time with teenage son and hubby but even they can get on my nerves if they are there all the time. Some breathing space and 'me' time is very important :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post - brilliantly written. Hope everyone takes your tips on board...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Christmas but agree it can be totally exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it all depends on how you look at things... it can be all of those or none... it is up to us to make it what we want it to be :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really good post and definitely some tips to take on board x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't even remember the last time it did snow on Christmas Day, I remember having snow, but not it actually snowing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. great post... I do love chrismtas, but don't let it take over!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had my last white Christmas about four or five years ago when I was visiting my sister and her family in Finland. There really is no such thing as white christmas in Ecuador.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We should have a club! I dont like Christmas because I dont have money and money is needed to enjoy this event. I dont know if I can boycott it though as you just cant escape it. Sadly. #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  13. That made me smile from start to finish. Once you stop conforming and start making your own traditions, life tends to become easier. Or so I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL!! No you're right I've never seen a white christmas. My boys always get excited at the prospect and when I tell them there won't be any snow for christmas I end up feeling guilty! How's that work? As for "family time", yes it's nice but like you said only in small quantities. Great post. #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! I agree to having mixed feelings about it too! While I love the whole family bonding thing, the organising of everything is overwhelming. Although this year, I went and did most of my shopping by early November. I just couldn't face the hassle later on. I'll definitely take a humbug over NYE though. Hate it! #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahaha! Great post!! I'm up in the North East. Bordering on Scotland and we've had a white Christmas when my eldest was a baby! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great post! I am SO with you on the family thing and yes, what about it being white?! Thank you for linking to #PoCoLo :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep...I burn out just before the actual day too. There is always so much to do. I like having a quiet day on Christmas Eve with my children before the mayhem of Christmas Day actually arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used to love Christmas, now I hate it and it's probably the saddest time in the year for me :) Sounds awful but somehow I go through it. It's just not the same when your whole family is 2000 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've just dragged my head out of the sand and realised how close Christmas is. I have bought presents but that's it ... oh and written a list :)

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to comment, I really value your responses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...