Tuesday 4 February 2014

Dear Mr Gove

I'm sure you are snowed under with mail, so apologies for adding to your already overflowing postbag but I had to write. Despite my previous post on Education at 3? No thanks! it seems you misunderstood and felt children starting their Education EARLIER was somehow more appropriate? I use a capital "E" there because everyone else seems to know that children are always educated, always learning, thirsty for knowledge and keen to try anything new. This innate curiosity is a gift, not a qualification and needs little more than the gentlest of touches to encourage.

As a supporter of "Big Society" and not "Big Government" I am curious why you have so little faith in society and the individuals of which it is comprised. More crucially - the facts and information you claim to love. It's  well known by anyone involved working (or playing!) with young children that they have a natural and profound capacity to learn. A child who is loved, nurtured and encouraged will learn in spite of  any outside means. Of far greater import is the securing of that environment and supporting parents than dictating new rules and guidelines to artificially propel their offsprings' infant brains along the educational conveyor belt.

And it is surely a basic tenet of Conservatism that in a liberal and free society parental rights should be paramount when their children's upbringing and education are concerned? Or did you somehow miss the backlash against Ed Balls MP when he tried to make the State, rather than parents responsible for how children are educated? Indeed have you indeed ever met someone who is Home Educated? I have. They are just that. Educated. At Home.


There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to learning, otherwise a "plug and play" approach would have been adopted long ago. Thankfully the alarming possibilities presented in "Brave New World" are Science Fiction not Science Fact and our offspring are unique individuals with their own abilities and capacity to learn. For those who choose a school based education, to facilitate learning you actually need to know the children to meet their needs. And that's surely what professionals DO? Or should be allowed to do? Because the persistent undermining of teacher's professionalism is causing many to vote with their feet. Soon the only thing that Britain will have in common with the Eastern countries whose education systems you so admire will be the fantastically large class sizes. Gone will be the nurturing, individual-focussed learning environment, replaced with cohort after cohort lining up for indoctrination. Is that really what you had in mind?


And what is it with your department's obsession with measuring everything?! It's as if you honestly believe quantifying something uniquely precipitates an answer- or even the best way forward. But statistics are an extremely blunt instrument- never more so than in education. For starters to compare anything objectively you need to be comparing the same things. (Didn't they teach you this in O' level Maths?) You can measure all you like, but if you then attempt a comparison between, say apples and oranges, or inner city schools and free schools, or comprehensives and private schools, pre schools and nurseries and even (this is the interesting bit) one nursery and another you will only ever obtain highly subjective results. Not something I would want to stack an entire policy - let alone a ministerial career on.

And just what are all these tests and measures for? Because all they do is deny the professionalism of teachers and the individuality of each situation. You see, I had a dyslexic four year old who knew the alphabet, could read and write several words from memory and who would have scored highly in pre school assessments. Yet two years later he was struggling and only internal professional observation would have picked up his difficulties. Then there is my autistic four year old who would have failed every test under the sun but developed his own written language despite not reading until age seven. By age nine he had the reading age of a thirteen year old. Neither fit the mould, and in that, neither are unusual. Isn't it about time we acknowledged and celebrated difference, and - as good Conservatives stopped attempting to centralise, control and regulate education further?

I think the crux of the matter here, is that like the student tackling a particularly difficult essay question you have responded with a knee jerk narrative rather than challenging the question. You have fallen foul of the most common error in higher level exams - and failed to analyse the wording, seeing what you want and expect to see - rather than what is really there. Unfortunately that won't secure you an A*.

Qu. "How can we improve Educational Outcomes of our young people and what constitutes a Good Education?"

You need to take a step back and rethink - and catch up with the vast majority of professionals involved in teaching - and nurturing our children. You see, Educational Outcomes actually have relatively little to do with formal "Education"and often very little to do with teaching.  An uncomfortable thought perhaps... but they have everything to do with education. And the hard truth is that no amount of early formal intervention via your department, no new tests and analysis, inspections and grading can ever impact on any child's education in the way you intend.



Tests and statistics have their uses but should never override personal, professional opinion - and if they are actively impeding that opinion then there really is a problem. Persistently tinkering with the system and micro managing what should actually be managed with the infamous "light touch" approach (which should perhaps not have been applied to the Economy but that's another story) is going to end in tears. Children want to learn, and addressing the social impediments to learning and supporting families is a far more powerful tool for improving educational outcomes. And I'm not just talking grades here. Because Education is so much more than that. There's a whole world out there, and a virtual one running in parallel. Children learn in spite of teachers, schools, policies, exams and tests.

Education is not about the transfer of a finite, centrally determine body of knowledge to the next generation. It's not a simplistic imparting of knowledge, it's about enlightening, inspiring, encouraging and supporting. Meeting needs and chasing dreams.


Think beyond the obvious Mr Gove, or leave it to the professionals. Focussing on testing and targets helps no one, least of all our children.

And it won't get you an A*.




26 comments:

  1. I honestly fear for the future of my children and their education, Yet again I am considering homeschool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post! My Gove irritates more than anyone else these days, and like Jen above, each times he speaks he brings me closer to the decision to home educate- at least for my youngest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I am hoping he is long gone by the time my daughter starts her education journey in 4 years time. I wish I could teach her at home but I don't think it is a viable option. I'd like to send her to a free school (if they still exist!) when we get there...
    Much as I hate the 'think outside the box' line from a work point of view as daft management speak, it was well used by that student in the picture you used!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been so worried about my kid's education as I am right now. Gove has the power to create schools that turn kids off learning and that's the worst thing possible

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope you have printed this off and sent it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I read a newspaper I think 'thank god my kids aren't in school!' - every time you think they can't come up with a worse idea they manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really hate the thought of test for younger children - no matter how I try and look at it it can only be a bad thing, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As Em says above, I've never worried so much about my son's education as I have been recently. It's frankly terrifying the effect his ill thought out decisions could have...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's daycare sneaking in by the back door, with tests added to legitimize it as an educational resource. Great if we just wanted to turn out zombified lab-rats...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gove scares the bejesus out of me - he is such a loon on a power trip. I fear for ALL children who will become victims of his ill-conceived ideas if any of it is passed. But it's an election year next year and he is doing neither himself nor his party any favours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Structured education is the ruin of creativity. My two year old soaks up everything like a sponge, can think for himself and has an opinion on most things. Wonder how all that will change if the focus shifts from enjoying the process of learning to assessments at an early age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Structured learning has its place, most definitely higher up the school ladder but too much too soon is detrimental. And even the older children need "time to dream" http://musingssahm.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/blue-sky-thinking.html

      Delete
  12. I hope you sent this letter off. Gove is clearly not a favourite with many parents.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are too many tests as it is and to bring them in when they're so young is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a 2 and 3 year old and started contemplating home schooling today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm having serious homeschool thoughts here. I want my children to learn to think, consider, question, explore etc etc, not learn how to pass a test!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very well considered piece, I am terrified of more testing. Who knows what the school system will be like when my children start school, things seem to change every few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here here! I have to say I truly despair of the things I have been hearing in the news, and really hope they do not come to pass. I hope you sent this letter off, as it is really to the point and I think most parents would agree with you on these matters (I certainly do!) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well said. Would love to hear Mr Gove's reply to this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Personally I do think more people should have access to nursery education for their children if that is what they want - many cannot afford to stay at home and by increasing free hours this will really help them.
    As for all the changes to exam systems etc, I am mightily unimpressed at the moment. My 13 year old has just "chosen" his options. I use the word chosen very loosely as he had the opportunity to choose just ONE! Because he is bright and in the top set for everything the school have chosen his options for him so THEY get the results THEY need - how unfair is that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree re nursery Kara - I wrote about that here http://musingssahm.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/education-at-3-no-thanks.html
      Feeling your pain on the Year 9 "choices" too. Some schools even enter children for the 2 grade "Combined Science" in Year 10 then all three Science subjects in Year 11 so they get 5 grades which improves the schools' stats. Never mind the extra workload for the kids!

      Delete
  20. I think we are just edging ever closer to a time when all educating is done at home. We should stand up and demand payment for it! He is just laughable, how did he ever get the job?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't agree with what's been proposed at all - some people would never see their children and children just wouldn't learn as they'd be too exhausted from it all.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm hoping the proposal is just that, a proposal.I've seen two bloggers recently take their kids out of school to Home Educate and another who was home educating considering take their children out of school again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is funny actually... when I was a kid I never understood why I have to study so much and about so many weird things... now I am really glad I had to... UK education is totally different and it varies a lot from school to school. As a foster parent most of our kids are behind and some schools really do care and try to help... others use as you said "one size fits all" approach, which is totally useless

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so worried about this Government. These recent proposals are beyond a joke.

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to comment, I really value your responses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...